Corey’s Birthday Tees (and a couple more for Josephine)

The first shirt was dyed with brazil wood.  And the second had a dodder base color.

And then I made Josie two little shirts.

This first one was dyed in weld…. then with a shibori resist, place in the brazil wood dye bath. Finally it was eco printed with smoke tree leaves and plumes.

The next one was printed with eucalyptus, coreopsis and smoke tree…… with various rusty bits tossed in.

Bumper Crop of Coreopsis

Am so happy that I planted these seeds last fall. The plants are producing scads more flowers then when I plant them in the Spring.

This is a little organic flannel dress/jumper I just made for Eleanor. One of her favorite colors is purple….. so the first step was a shibori resist logwood bath.

I then placed coreopsis blossoms in the circles and covered them with round rusty screen pieces.

It’s a bit rustic looking…. but I’m quite happy with it!


Have been on the lookout for ‘dodder’ for several years now….. this year, after the mild Spring and higher moisture, I found many clumps scattered here and there. Exciting!

Here is a link for more info about dodder… if you are interested.



Little granddaughter sized tee shirt…… using dodder as an eco print element along with cotinus leaves.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Shirt dyed in a dodder dye bathe …..


Fun find….. and even more more experiment!

The last of the Persian Berry….

Not sure when I will decide to splurge on more Persian Berry. ALTHOUGH a little does go a long way!

Dyed three shirts this time. Two for the rug rats and one for me.

The two for the girls were pretty basic. Dyed the shirts with the Persian Berry then overlaid them with smoke tree  leaves and ‘flowers’, guava and some little dried out eucalyptus leaves. The smoke tree leaves printed green!! What a magical delight!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Then I went on to make my shirt. A little more complex process.

Took the Persian Berry dyed shirt and shibori dyed it in Black Walnut. It was not quite what I wanted…. not enough contrast. So while the tiles were still clamped on, I dipped it into an indigo* vat. Yes! Contrast!!

I then took smoke tree leaves and flowers and printed them in the yellow resisted areas. I am pretty happy with the outcome!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

*This is the last time I will use pre-reduced indigo. I had no idea that it was synthetic, and not just indigo made easy 😦  So this summer I will make a fructose indigo vat….because I have many ideas percolating in my head that need indigo.


Shibori Number 2……

……. I can honestly admit that I am not very good at this! Just need to practice and practice.

This tunic was first dyed with Persian Berries….. a delightful yellow! IMG_3769.JPG

Then I folded and clamped it and dropped it into a madder bath. Since I didn’t use a resist, other than the clamp, I was afraid that the madder would seep too far into the folded areas. But no, it didn’t even travel into the fabric as much as I had hoped/planned.  And the handles of the clamps left dark spots here and there (that, or there were undissolved clumps of madder at the bottom of the pot).

tunic top.JPG

Not so great. I will wear it as is for now…… but when the leaves are finally out and I can do some contact printing, I may play around with it again. OR my mind has been wanting to do some screen printing with natural dyes, so this piece may turn into the guinea pig for that.

I dyed some linen pants and a tee-shirt in the the same madder pot…. to wear along with it ….. but wasn’t thinking ahead, to correctly have them blend with the tunic I should have dyed them with the Persian Berries first, then over dyed them with the madder. But luckily they look nice with another tunic I already had.

Then….. as Josephine’s 1st birthday is coming up…… I made her a Raggedy Josephine doll.


Looks a lot like her cousin’s doll. This one has a dress made out of one of my favorite linen shirts that was getting too raggedy to wear…. but her apron and panties are eco print, as is her body. Her hair is madder dyed wool and her face embroidery is using naturally dyed silk thread.

Playing around with Shibori

I think of this as my Rorschach Clown dress….. didn’t quite turn out as my mind’s eye saw it.

Dyed the linen with madder, then folded the fabric, used old C.D.s  as a resist, and dipped in indigo. I either used too much fabric, or the rubber band ties were too tight, but there are not as many round shapes as I was expecting/hoping for.

It’s a Sonya Phillip’s pattern

,with added internal pockets (somehow external patch pockets seem too juvenile for an old lady….. meaning me).

Dipped a tee-shirt in indigo to wear under it.



Lilly walked me through a more complicated method of getting my photos into a format where they would once again upload….. Thanks Lilly!!