Lost a lot of color….. and it didn’t go very dark, even with three dips. Wonder what I did wrong? Any clues/tips?
I still like it. And it will make a nice summer dress for Lilly.
Lilly gave me several yards of raw silk for my birthday…. and I decided to try my hand at making the Folkwear Pattern for a Mexican Dress/Shirt. I bought the pattern several years ago and was waiting to get enough silk threads dyed to embroider one…. but that’s taking too long, so thought I’d try eco printing some fabric for it instead. I am glad I did. The shirt is a bit big and ‘sloppy’ looking on me….. but I figured out, while making this one, how I’d make future shirts that would be a bit more flattering.
Raw silk shibori dyed with madder…..over dyed with geranium, currant and purple carrots.
Not sure if the word ‘deconstructed’ is actually what I want to call it. ‘Decayed’ perhaps? Like a painted wall that has undergone weather and time….
I started out with weld, then over dyed with brazil wood (the last of my old old stash). And, as with all the things I have shibori dyed…. the two sides are different, even though I thought that I had folded them the same (in the future I will lay the pieces out side by side and fold them in unison).
Next I placed leaves on the top….. mostly cotinus, but with a large Japanese knot wood leaf in the center of the front top. I then liberally covered the tops sections with cotinus ‘fluff’ and the lower halves with tamarisk. Over all I placed rust cloths.
The top turned out like I had planned…. sort of. But the tamarisk did not. Had been going for the finer lines/dots that I have gotten in the past.
A nice dress to wear during pregnancy.
😦 BUT it seems to have gotten lost in the mail 😦 Along with Eleanor’s purple/coreopsis dress. I have a trace on the package…. and haven’t given up hope that it will arrive some day. But am sad at the moment.
The first shirt was dyed with brazil wood. And the second had a dodder base color.
And then I made Josie two little shirts.
This first one was dyed in weld…. then with a shibori resist, place in the brazil wood dye bath. Finally it was eco printed with smoke tree leaves and plumes.
The next one was printed with eucalyptus, coreopsis and smoke tree…… with various rusty bits tossed in.
Am so happy that I planted these seeds last fall. The plants are producing scads more flowers then when I plant them in the Spring.
This is a little organic flannel dress/jumper I just made for Eleanor. One of her favorite colors is purple….. so the first step was a shibori resist logwood bath.
I then placed coreopsis blossoms in the circles and covered them with round rusty screen pieces.
It’s a bit rustic looking…. but I’m quite happy with it!
Have been on the lookout for ‘dodder’ for several years now….. this year, after the mild Spring and higher moisture, I found many clumps scattered here and there. Exciting!
Here is a link for more info about dodder… if you are interested. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuscuta
Little granddaughter sized tee shirt…… using dodder as an eco print element along with cotinus leaves.
Shirt dyed in a dodder dye bathe …..
Fun find….. and even more more experiment!
I think it looked nicer in ‘real life’….. the photos seem a bit washed out.
Weld dyed organic tee shirt with cotinus, Japanese knotweed, smoke tree fluff, guava, madder chips, and silly cloud shaped rusty screen cutouts.