Made a skirt for Lilly to remember my visit.
Linen fabric shibori dyed with acacia. Printed with eucalyptus leaves and seeds, cotinus, guava, and a sprinkling of coreopsis. Rust fabric placed over all before steaming.
I really love the way the shibori dying gives a bit more depth to the over all look of the fabric.
Lost a lot of color….. and it didn’t go very dark, even with three dips. Wonder what I did wrong? Any clues/tips?
I still like it. And it will make a nice summer dress for Lilly.
Lilly gave me several yards of raw silk for my birthday…. and I decided to try my hand at making the Folkwear Pattern for a Mexican Dress/Shirt. I bought the pattern several years ago and was waiting to get enough silk threads dyed to embroider one…. but that’s taking too long, so thought I’d try eco printing some fabric for it instead. I am glad I did. The shirt is a bit big and ‘sloppy’ looking on me….. but I figured out, while making this one, how I’d make future shirts that would be a bit more flattering.
Raw silk shibori dyed with madder…..over dyed with geranium, currant and purple carrots.
Not sure if the word ‘deconstructed’ is actually what I want to call it. ‘Decayed’ perhaps? Like a painted wall that has undergone weather and time….
I started out with weld, then over dyed with brazil wood (the last of my old old stash). And, as with all the things I have shibori dyed…. the two sides are different, even though I thought that I had folded them the same (in the future I will lay the pieces out side by side and fold them in unison).
Next I placed leaves on the top….. mostly cotinus, but with a large Japanese knot wood leaf in the center of the front top. I then liberally covered the tops sections with cotinus ‘fluff’ and the lower halves with tamarisk. Over all I placed rust cloths.
The top turned out like I had planned…. sort of. But the tamarisk did not. Had been going for the finer lines/dots that I have gotten in the past.
A nice dress to wear during pregnancy.
😦 BUT it seems to have gotten lost in the mail 😦 Along with Eleanor’s purple/coreopsis dress. I have a trace on the package…. and haven’t given up hope that it will arrive some day. But am sad at the moment.