A long time ago I started to make my daughter Lilly a quilt. It had alternating squares of handwoven fabric and squares of recycled old velvet and corduroy shirts. It looked pretty…. bright bold colors, mainly purples and oranges.
But I made one major mistake! The seams were much too narrow for handwoven fabric, which has a tendency to unravel. I couldn’t figure out what to do to remedy the problem. I finally tried to iron on interfacing to cover the seams….. and there it sits, to this day, languishing away.
A couple of weeks ago, when I started making Jeph an eco printed quilt…. some pieces I put together that didn’t really fit in with the rest. It was these pieces that ‘spawned’ the idea of a quilt for Lilly! To make up for the long ago birthday present she never got.